17th green

Course History

In   the   late   1890s,   Glenview,   as   the   course   was   named   then,   was   a   six-hole   private   course   built   by   Jacob   (Jake)   Englehart,   one   of   Imperial   Oil's   first   vice- presidents.      It   was   a   hangout   for   oil   barons   and   the   rich   and   famous   from all over the world. Jake   Englehart   was   the   owner   of   one   of   three   Oil   Refineries   operating   in Petrolia   at   that   time.      The   three   refineries   later   merged   forming   a   new company   called   The   Imperial   Oil   Company   Limited.      At   the   time,   Petrolia supplied 90 percent of Canada's oil. In   1891,   Jake   and   his   new   wife,   Charlotte   Eleanor,   honeymooned   in   St. Anne's,   Scotland   and   fell   in   love   with   Scottish   courses.      Englehart   vowed   he would   build   a   course   when   he   got   home.      The   course   is   believed   to   have been opened in 1895, and was called Glenview. Englehart's   original   course   of   six   holes   was   constructed   on   18   acres   of   Bear Creek   flats.      Back   then,   the   first   tee   was   almost   right   outside   the   front   door of   the   mansion,   next   to   Bear   Creek.      It   was   a   par-22   course   measuring about   1,330   yards.      The   holes   remained   virtually   unchanged   for   100   years. After   expanding   to   nine   holes,   the   course   was   bequeathed   to   the   town,   and incorporated   as   the   Glenview   Golf   and   Country   Club   in   1922.      The   original clubhouse   was   built   on   Queen   Street   but   was   torn   down   in   1965   because   it had   become   too   small   and   too   noisy   for   neighbours.   In   the   early   days, when Petrolia was "dry", the clubhouse was a popular spot. A   new   clubhouse   opened   in   1965   and   a   curling   rink   in   1969.      In   2001,   the course   expanded   to   it's   current   18   hole   layout,   with   the   new   nine   being built   within   the   Glenview   Estates   subdivision.   The   Englehart   Cup   trophy   which dates   back   to   the   1920s,   is   presented   annually   to   the   club   champion.      Past   winners   include   oil   barons   such   as   C.O.   Fairbanks   in   1932-1934.      (From   The   London Free Press - Summer 2001).
Histroic photo of original Petrolia "Golf links"
(519) 882-0860
Copyright © Heritage Heights Golf Club / Bar and Grill
17th green
In   the   late   1890s,   Glenview,   as   the   course   was   named   then,   was   a   six-hole private   course   built   by   Jacob   (Jake)   Englehart,   one   of   Imperial   Oil's   first   vice- presidents.      It   was   a   hangout   for   oil   barons   and   the   rich   and   famous   from   all over the world. Jake     Englehart was    the    owner of    one    of    three Oil       Refineries operating          in Petrolia    at    that time.      The   three refineries      later merged    forming a   new   company called            The Imperial           Oil C   o   m   p   a   n   y     Limited.      At   the time,        Petrolia supplied           90 percent             of Canada's oil. In    1891,    Jake    and    his    new    wife,    Charlotte    Eleanor,    honeymooned    in    St. Anne's,   Scotland   and   fell   in   love   with   Scottish   courses.      Englehart   vowed   he would   build   a   course   when   he   got   home.      The   course   is   believed   to   have   been opened in 1895, and was called Glenview. Englehart's   original   course   of   six   holes   was   constructed   on   18   acres   of   Bear Creek   flats.      Back   then,   the   first   tee   was   almost   right   outside   the   front   door   of the   mansion,   next   to   Bear   Creek.      It   was   a   par-22   course   measuring   about 1,330   yards.      The   holes   remained   virtually   unchanged   for   100   years.   After expanding    to    nine    holes,    the    course    was    bequeathed    to    the    town,    and incorporated   as   the   Glenview   Golf   and   Country   Club   in   1922.      The   original clubhouse   was   built   on   Queen   Street   but   was   torn   down   in   1965   because   it had   become   too   small   and   too   noisy   for   neighbours.   In   the   early   days,   when Petrolia was "dry", the clubhouse was a popular spot. A   new   clubhouse   opened   in   1965   and   a   curling   rink   in   1969.      In   2001,   the course   expanded   to   it's   current   18   hole   layout,   with   the   new   nine   being   built within    the    Glenview    Estates    subdivision.   The    Englehart    Cup    trophy    which dates   back   to   the   1920s,   is   presented   annually   to   the   club   champion.      Past winners   include   oil   barons   such   as   C.O.   Fairbanks   in   1932-1934.      (From   The London Free Press - Summer 2001).
Histroic photo of original Petrolia "Golf links"

Course History

Copyright © Heritage Heights Golf Club / Bar and Grill
17th green
In   the   late   1890s,   Glenview,   as   the   course   was named   then,   was   a   six-hole   private   course   built   by Jacob   (Jake)   Englehart,   one   of   Imperial   Oil's   first v     i     c     e     - presidents.      It was                a hangout       for oil         barons and    the    rich and      famous from    all    over the world. J      a      k      e          was             the owner    of    one of   three   Oil   Refineries   operating   in   Petrolia   at   that time.      The   three   refineries   later   merged   forming   a new    company    called    The    Imperial    Oil    Company Limited.      At   the   time,   Petrolia   supplied   90   percent of Canada's oil. In   1891,   Jake   and   his   new   wife,   Charlotte   Eleanor, honeymooned   in   St.   Anne's,   Scotland   and   fell   in love   with   Scottish   courses.      Englehart   vowed   he would    build    a    course    when    he    got    home.       The course   is   believed   to   have   been   opened   in   1895, and was called Glenview. Englehart's     original     course     of     six     holes     was constructed   on   18   acres   of   Bear   Creek   flats.      Back then,   the   first   tee   was   almost   right   outside   the   front door   of   the   mansion,   next   to   Bear   Creek.      It   was   a par-22   course   measuring   about   1,330   yards.      The holes   remained   virtually   unchanged   for   100   years. After    expanding    to    nine    holes,    the    course    was bequeathed   to   the   town,   and   incorporated   as   the Glenview    Golf    and    Country    Club    in    1922.        The original   clubhouse   was   built   on   Queen   Street   but was   torn   down   in   1965   because   it   had   become   too small   and   too   noisy   for   neighbours.   In   the   early days,   when   Petrolia   was   "dry",   the   clubhouse   was a popular spot. A   new   clubhouse   opened   in   1965   and   a   curling   rink in    1969.        In    2001,    the    course    expanded    to    it's current   18   hole   layout,   with   the   new   nine   being   built within     the     Glenview     Estates     subdivision.     The Englehart    Cup    trophy    which    dates    back    to    the 1920s,   is   presented   annually   to   the   club   champion.     Past    winners    include    oil    barons    such    as    C.O. Fairbanks   in   1932-1934.      (From   The   London   Free Press - Summer 2001).
Histroic photo of original Petrolia "Golf links"

Course History

Copyright © Heritage Heights Golf Club / Bar and Grill